1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping chickens through the winter

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lovemygirls2016, Sep 20, 2016.

1. lovemygirls2016

lovemygirls2016 New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    I will be raising chickens through the winter and this will be a first for me. What do u guys recommend to feed them? How much should I feed them? Any other advice you can give me would be helpful. Thanks ladies

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens! I am actually getting ready to go through my first winter with chickens as well! I have heard that using the Deep Litter method helps keep the coop warm (more info about the deep litter method here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70/deep-litter-method) I have also heard that feeding your chickens cracked corn helps generate body heat as well. I hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as I have and have alot of fun!

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I found a thread on this..it's older, but can help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/205810/winter-feeding

I noticed that someone mentioned kale. I have some planted..will see how it grows through the winter. I also do what's called .. fodder. Will check in a min. to see if I can find a thread on that..and a photo of mine. They love it!

I also give them Calf Manna..yes..it's for chickens too. This is a great protein supplement throughout the winter, and it doesn't take much when feeding them a good feed.

Here is a youtube explaining fodder. There are others you can look at while in there.

Here are a couple of photos of some that I had just started..it grows fast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of the calf manna. I will give them some once in a while in the summer, only a handful about once a week. In the winter, a handful around 3 times a week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Just make sure they have a coop which is well ventilated but free of drafts. In most places is doesn't get cold enough for chickens to have any problems. Anything above 0 they don't even seem to feel! As for feed, feed the same thing you would during the summer. Layer feed (or grower feed depending on the age/sex/species in your flock) supplemented with up to 10% treats. Cracked corn is a good option for treats during the winter, since it helps them keep warm.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What type of roosts do you have? If you use a 2 x 4 - have the wide side UP. Chickens like to lay their heads down on their feet to keep them warm.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by