1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping Chickens Warm In The Winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickensfan, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    hello,
    how do I keep my chickies warm this winter?
    my australorp roo is already shaky from the cold. literally. his shaking is visible. (whereas, my polish and just fine in the winter.)
    i was wondering how to keep them warm? (i let them free range)
    also, i may start an article on this after i learn about it to pass the info along, and i need to learn about it and have ways of keeping warm listed there.
    if you help, and i do make a article, i will not forget to mention you helped in the article! (no pressure)
    thanks for any reply of suggestions!
    ~Marie

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

What temperatures are your birds experiencing now and how cold is it expected to get? Show a current picture of him, ideally when he is shivering as that can give us an idea as to what he is doing with feather arrangement to manage heat. How meaty does he feel along the breastbone?

Chickens seldom shiver and when they do it is more often that not a serious indicator something beyond simply being cold is as play.

4. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    thank you both! i will show photos as soon as possible. he is very meaty everywhere.

5. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    so long as they can get out of the wind mine are OK... this morning it was 2f and windchill of -17f... most stayed in until noon except for quick trips to see if it had gotten any better,.. the bunch hatched in Sept stayed out all day so far.
    They are in a 8x24' hoop coop with clear tarps, plenty of ventilation, no insulation and no heat. There do have a couple huddle boxes that the molting hens are using.

6. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    good coop!
    any pics?
    i will share photos soon. i was wondering though, you goys wanted photos of him while he was shaking. i cant show the shaking in the photo though!

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I want to see how feathers are being held.

8. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Your in Ca and your rooster is cold? Are you sure its not something else?

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

9. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    ok. sorry, i am having trouble getting the photos. he hates cameras. i have some old pics of him from about 2-3 months ago...would they work?
    yes. i am near the coast. i don't think there is anything else wrong with him.
    i mean...there are a few things...
    for instance, his heart beats crazy fast, a hen keeps pecking feathers from his neck (his neck is bald) , and spots of blood sometimes appear on his comb. (rarely.)

10. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    here are the old photos of him...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (before his neck was bald!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by