Keeping chickens warm on the "frigid" Sountern Florida winter day.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rachelchick16, Mar 16, 2017.

1. rachelchick16

rachelchick16 Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Hey everyone,

Let me try to set the scene for you... I live in southern Florida have several chickens and love it! Currently, I raise Easter Eggers (mainly for eggs). I also raise some rare pure breeds that I sell: Cream Legbar, Black Copper Marans, Isbar, Ayam Cemani, and Araucana. I house them in 2 huge gardening hoops that are 50X20 each. In one hoop I have built separate breeding pens (6-9X16) for my pure breeds with their own nesting boxes and perches. I had a separate chicken coop for my Easter Eggers to lay eggs in and roost in at night. For the past 5 years the only thing they have done in there is lay eggs. None of the chickens have EVER slept in there by choice. I know this because when I would clean out the coop weekly there was never any droppings in the coop and the roosts were, literally, collecting dust. lol Even during the "winter" here in Florida. They have roosts outside in the runs and that's where they prefer to roost every night all year round. Now, that coop has become my chicken barn. lol

Now to the question...

On the rare occasion it gets REALLY cold for us, born and raised, Floridians what would you suggest I do to keep my babies warm? Hang tarps on the sides and put heat lamps in each pen? I'd hate to build a permanent structure within the hoop with my pure breeds to only be used every once in a while. Ok, so suggest away! I'd love to hear some feedback.

Rachel

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. rachelchick16

rachelchick16 Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks N F C! :thumbsup

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am so glad you decided to join us today, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! [​IMG]Pretty sure your chickens will handle the Florida weather just fine. Best wishes!

6. DirtRoadChicks

DirtRoadChicks Out Of The Brooder Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Chiefland, FL
    My Coop
    I haven't added any additional for mine and t hey've been fine throughout the years. We are in North FL (33 this AM 26 yesterday!) I always worry, but they seem to puff up and do just fine.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chickens generally can handle cold much better than heat. If they are doing fine without using the coop and are SAFE from predators, I would let them be. If not, I would insist they go in the coop at dusk even if they had to be shoved through the door one by one, and then set on the roost. Chickens can be like kids- they don't make the best decisions, so adults have to step in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by