Keeping Chickens Warm

Wayne566

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
How long do you have to keep your baby chicks warm with a light before they can keep their self warm...I use a Heat lamp Now but for How Long should i do this...

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
Premium member
6 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
It will depend on the climate, whether they are indoor/outdoor, how quickly they feather out etc. The generally accepted wisdom is start at 95 degrees and lower the temp by 5 degrees each week until they have reached the ambient temperature of their environment. That said, I prefer to let my chicks lead the way vs. going by a set "rule" - meaning I provide heat while they indicate they need it and withdraw it when they demonstrate an ability to be comfortable without it. Our latest batch was taken off the light at about 4 weeks but were still inside at that point where the room temperature was around 70 - they were moved out a week later to their unheated coop where they enjoyed several days of 70/50 weather cycles and then an unseasonable cold snap that came with snow and temps into the 20s. They are happy, healthy and robust 8 weeks olds now.

Wayne566

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hello and Thank you for replying to my post...My Baby Cornish hens are in their own coop and loving it...

Top Bottom