1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping Chicks Entertained?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MesMama, Apr 11, 2016.

1. MesMama

MesMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    Any ideas on keeping chicks busy so they are entertained and not flicking feed all over as fast as you can fill it? Lol! I have grass clumps in there for them to scratch around on and a stick that they stand on, they're 3 weeks old tomorrow and want to get out of the brooder, but I'm not ready to let them with the bigs yet ;)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Get a different feeder, they will all do that. You are already doing my best tips. Hopefully it warms up where you are. I put mine outside on grass as soon as it's warm enough for the day in a temporary pen.

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Read my article, linked below under "Articles" and it will show you how to successfully integrate chicks with adult chickens.

Meanwhile, they will benefit hugely from brief day trips outdoors. That will check their boredom. Rig up a chick play pen in the run, and let them start getting to know the big girls. Each day let them stay out longer. Soon they will be weaned off the heat lamp and you can moved them into the coop at around four or five weeks. It's easy and safe with the panic room system.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by