Keeping chicks in cool basement with a heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Willow's Meadow, May 31, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Our basement is cooler then the upstais. I don't want to keep the chicks in the kitchen or upstairs(mostly because of the dogs) so I was going to keep them in the basement. If they have a heat lamp(probably 250 w red heat lamp) would the colder temp. of the basement affect them at all? It will be June when they come so it won't be that cold down there. Just the typical colder temp of a basement compared to the upstairs I guess. There are no drafts.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    Hi! I don't know where you are located, but I'm in NH and am doing the same thing. This is our second brood and they're doing great! We do have the benefit of a window and I keep that open to allow for circulation. The only thing I think might have an impact is dampness. Is your basement at all damp? If not, it should be fine.

Have fun!

-C

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I keep the chicks in the basement at nightime, there fine [​IMG]

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Mine are coming this week and I have the same situation. Downstairs is cooler by about 10 degrees. I am going to use a red heater lamp anyway and just monitor the temp in the brooder.

Since it's June in NY, I think they should be fine and will be going outdoors on those 80-90 degree days for a spell. Of course after they are feathered!

I also bought a screen house 10 x 10. I plan to let them roam around in there as well. [​IMG]

5. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    That's where mine are and they are growing like weeds! [​IMG]

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    All my chicks get raised in a brooder in my basement with a 250 watt heat lamp....several batches, with no problems!

7. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks you SO MUCH!!!! That makes me feel ALOT better!!! I love you byc people!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by