keeping chicks in the run/coop too soon?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by percy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    our 6 chicks are around 4-5 weeks old & they are getting so big i hate putting them back in their brooder box [3'x4']. we live in SD & the night temps are around 62ish & are wondering if we can move them to the wired in & now secure run? i was thinking of leaving their box/brooder in there on its side to get cozy in as well as a heat lamp... is that cool? too soon? thanks.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

As long as they still have heat they should be fine.

3. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Thanks, i guess i can always bring them in if they are too cold looking... i'm picturing myself chasing them around in the dark...[​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm not getting a clear picture. Will they be in a coop with run access during the day?
    I put mine out in the (insulated) coop with a heat lamp at 2 1/2 weeks, but brought them in (to the house/brooder) each night until they were 4 weeks. Then they started staying out in the coop (again...w/heat lamp). I only let them out in the run when the temp. was warm enough (we've had nights into the 30s here, days in the 40s/50s). Now they are 5 1/2 weeks. I'm trying to wean them away from the heat lamp a little; they are almost totally feathered out. But I'm a worried mom, so it may take a few more weeks...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    My set up is 12x6 & totally enclosed by hardware cloth, wood & wire... eventually they will have access to the semi-enclosed 'nests' but as for now there isn't a ramp to get up there... i have placed a large wooden box on it's side with shavings in the bottom & the heat lamp [250 watts] on its overhanging edge... they can walk into the box & be warm & also run around the 'run' if they want to. i'll try & post a pic.

6. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    this is the run / coop before the door was added.
    [​IMG]

7. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop
    Will you have a place for them to roost at night? A low 2X4 works well, then you can move it highter when they get bigger. In SD your temps are so mild that I think they would be fine during the day, definitely would heat at night until 6-8 wks.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would think in South Dakota you would get pretty cold winters??? Are you planning on having a secure shelter for them??? I'm not talking about the run, but a tight, draft-free coop.
    Your run looks good, but it's really no protection against weather...no windbreak that I can see??? Also, is the top section under the roof open??? It kind of looks that way in the photo, but you said it was unfinished in the pic. If that area is open, you definitely need a secure place for the chickens to be at night time.

As for the chicks, they are probably old enough to do okay at those temps (60s), but they do need a draft free area. Have you tried Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens or Raising Chickens for Dummys??? Both are pretty good and can give you the basics...

9. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    yeah, we have some branches in there now & will have more roostables once the ramp up to the nest is done... will they start roosting this young [5 weeks]?

10. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    sorry, SD is San Diego...[​IMG] low 60's at night & 70's during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by