Keeping Chicks In The Winter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Robo, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I was thinking about hatching a few chicks this winter. Does anybody know the best way to do that? Will a 250 watt heat lamp keep them warm in 10 degree temps?

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Where do you plan to keep them at?

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I can keep them outside, in my garage, or in a small shed.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I hatched 22 2 weeks ago first 2 weeks they were in a 55 gal aquarium in the house they out grew that real fast now they are in the garage in a small room we have in there with a cover over the door and oil heater to keep the room warm and their heat lamp. They are in a pen my hubby made. They will stay there til I either find homes for them or til they are about 6 weeks old before I put them in the baby coop. Maybe longer if it gets real cold this winter. I want to make sure they are good and feathered out before they go outside and I will start dropping the temp in the room before they are put outside.

5. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Most everyone on here will think I'm nuts; but... I have 25 chicks do next week and they are going straight outside (post a 24hr observation period; if that!). I expect losses. In fact, ill be absolutely amazed if I don't lose several in the first couple weeks... Only time will tell ;-)

Happy peeping!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by