Keeping chicks warm with no power

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jacrawley, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jacrawley

jacrawley New Egg

Jan 8, 2009
    Has anyone brooded chicks without electricity? I've read about using an oil lamp to keep them warm. I have solar so the 24/7 heat lamp is out of the question.

thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    That's cool that you have solar! [​IMG] I have read that a cardboard box near, but not TOO near a woodstove is a good setup for a small number of chicks. Or, if you have a broody hen, you could put out fake eggs for her to sit on, then "as the chicks hatch" put them under her (at night only!) for her to raise. It's worth a try!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    First..... [​IMG]

How many chicks do you have in the brooder ??

And how old are they ?

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
  5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I am assuming that you heat with wood..

try hot rocks wrapped in cloth.. You only need a couple of sets of rocks .. ones heating up while the others warming the chicks..

please do not use a cardboard box near the stove.. for my piece of mind..[​IMG]

6. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Ditto on the hot rocks. See if you can find something with a lot of clay content or, better yet, soapstone. They hold heat longer. If unable to get rocks try a hot water bottle.

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

How about SnuggleSafe? Amazon has them...do you have ability to use a microwave?? If so, you can use the snugglesafe to keep em warm...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I've thought about it a while and have come up with this. Use a floor brooder like below, it is a plywood box with electric lamps inside. Instead of the electric lamps, install a 4" flue inside to vent an oil lamp. The flue will heat up and keep the inside of the box warm, yet the oil lamp will be vented. The instructions for the brooder are at http://www.plamondon.com/brooder.shtml

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jc_d1 likes this.
  9. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I've used those "hot hands" hand warmers, wrapped up in something to keep the chicks from getting too close. I don't think that would work for an extended period, but then again, they do stay hot/warm for about 8 hours. I guess it would depend on how many chicks you were trying to keep warm whether it could work for you.

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:two good questions..
    did he post and desert us??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by