1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping chicks warm without a heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chknwonderland, Nov 15, 2014.

1. chknwonderland

chknwonderland Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    Can I keep chicks in the incubator to keep them warm or it that a big no no? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would not even dream of doing that. That is going to be a total mess in there with them pooping. I don’t see how you could do that without it stinking really soon. It’s going to be really hard to clean that incubator to where you can use it again and hard to keep it dry. A wet brooder is a dangerous brooder.

Chicks grow pretty quickly. It won’t be long before they have outgrown the space in there.

There is a belief on this forum that chicks have to be kept a constant temperature. They don’t. What they do best in is an area that is warm enough but with other areas that are cooler. They do much better if they can spend some time in warm areas and other times in cooler areas. Not all chicks are the same, some appreciate different temperatures than others. Give them a chance to find their own individual comfort zone. For a lot of them it will be a lot cooler than many people expect.

Heat can kill chickens. If you do manage to get around other problems, how do you drop the temperature enough to keep them from being too hot as they get older?

An incubator is made to hatch eggs, not raise chicks in. You need a brooder for that.

1 person likes this.
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Tell us more about your set-up so we can give you a bit more individualized advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by