Keeping Chicks Warm

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ken facemire, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ken facemire

ken facemire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Manchester
    Do I need to put a heat lamp inn with my chicks when my broody silkie cross hatches the chicks next Monday? Will she keep them warm and will she eat the chick food with no problem? They will be in a chaged off part in the coop for them.

Thanks

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Where do you live and what are the temps there now? Will the chicks be exposed to the outdoors or any drafts?

3. ken facemire

ken facemire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Manchester
    I live in ohio and today it was 45 degree's tomarrow it is supossed to be 64 degrees they will be exposed to drafts but can be fixed very easyly. There is no door on the caged in area but a small opening just big enoough for the hen to get out or the chicks. Will she leave them? The temp for the week is an average of 53 deegree's.

4. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Sorry buddy, I don't know anything about mother hens or "hatching" your own chicks. I think that your chicks will be fine outside as long as they are fully feathered out. I personally would leave a heat lamp on them while the temps still get into the 30-40's at night.

This will bump you up to the top and maybe some more experienced will respond to you. Good luck to you and keep up the good work, it's all a learning process.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had one hen raise one chick in temps like that, in the coop with the other hens. No heat. At the time, I did not know people separated broodies/mothers. The chick would go under her for warmth as needed. Feed starter or grower, not layer, which is fine for both.

When the momma got killed, another of the same breed took over the chick's mothering!

I have mostly heavy breeds and have never seen a silkie. Might be a problem if there are several chicks, as I understand silkies are small, idk.

A neighbor had a silkie disappear, then reappear a few weeks later from the woods, followed by several new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by