keeping cool in the summer sun

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karin, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Karin

Karin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    The temperatures here in Nevada are in the 90's and will be in the 100's before long. What fine tips are out there for keeping chickens cool during the summer heat? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Karin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I have several things that I do here in Arizona. I freeze 2/3 of their water in their waterer and fill it with water the rest of the way, that usually keeps their water cool for most of the day. I will switch it out with the extra waterer that I have also put in the freezer when the water gets too warm. I also freeze 2 liter bottles and put them in the pen for them to lay against. Just make sure you freeze them with the tops open so you don't have an explosion. They also like it when I fill a ziplock bag with ice and put it in their pen. I have come out several times to see them "roosting" on the bag of ice to keep cool. I hope this helps. I try to avoid misters, because I don't want to promote mold.

BTW it is 108 here today!

Chrystal

3. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    karin where did you get your little chick house! that is so awsome, maybe I am behind on times but i have never seen one like that!!

you can try fans and put up a canopy like thing to help keep the sun off of them, while keeping a cool breeze for them. They have this new fan that you can freeze an ice pack and put it in the fan and it blows really cool air!

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Karin...at least it's a dry heat...[​IMG]

I do the same as the previous poster and fill one waterer 3/4 full and put in the freezer overnight. In the morning, I finish filling it with water and put it in the shade where my hens are free-ranging. They love the ice cold water and it lasts until night.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  5. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    I have done the above... plus I have put out a platter (the kind you serve Turkey on) Hee hee..

anyways... I put out a large platter of icey water and my girls like to stand in it and play with it... kinda like a wadding pool. They really like it!

I will also come around with the hose and water the run down a bit... It does cool things down a bit.

I hope that helps some

[​IMG]

6. Slim

Slim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Portage Michigan
    We have central air conditioning, so the kids just leave the doors open.

"Hey! C'mon kids! Whadaya think we're doin' here? Cooling the entire Gosh Dang neighborhood? Shut the dang doors already!"

Yes, I've become my dad.

[​IMG]

-Slim

7. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    [​IMG]

I saw some posts here about giving the chickens something to splash around in. I didn't want to use a hot water heater drip pan because being black, I figured the water would probably get too hot. So I got them a little kiddie pool, the blue plastic thing, but those chickens WILL NOT get in it. I even emptied it and put sunflower seeds in it, hoping to entice them in. They will sit on the edge but not get in. I tried picking them up and setting them in the water, but they freaked out.
    Yesterday, I let the hose run real low in their run and they liked playing in that water and pecking around in the mud.

8. Karin

Karin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Wow, those are some great ideas! I'll be sure and try them. Thanks so much for the feedback I really appreciate it! I'm a new chicken mama and I really don't want to fry my girls this summer.

The coop came from Omlet see link at
    http://www.omlet.us/homepage/homepage.php , I actually found out about it through this forum, lots of good information to be found here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by