1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    Every day I throw scratch in my run and put out treats (usually veggie & fruit scraps). The girls usually don't finish the treats, so I let them stay out a day or two. I rake up the run every couple of days or so.

Today I went out to a TON of flies & a few bees buzzing around yesterday's watermelon rinds & the chick poo.

I would like to have a nice clean run. How long can scraps stay out? Will they get infested with something and make the chicks sick? How often should I be raking it out??

I have a dirt floor that I sprinkle with DE once in a while.

Thanks!

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    When i put treats out, i always pick it up when i tuck them in bed at night, esp. in this heat, but that is just me......if i don't i know there will be bugs galore in the morning...

3. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Quote:X2

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:X2

X3

5. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Yep, sounds like my run, the flies let me know when it is time to clean up.

6. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    LOL I used one of my baking dishes to take food (treats) out to them and it has become a favorite thing for them.
    The only food on the ground is what they are fussing over. But then again they tend to empty the whole thing so I have only had to pick up watermelon rind and corn cobs. [​IMG]
    They see the dish and meet me at the gate. [​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I leave scraps for no longer then 20 minutes. If the juice from watermelon is on the ground, I wash immediately.

I rake 1-2 times a week, take out the poo and then hose down the run. I will spot clean the run 1-2 times a day. I clean the coop 3-5 times a day. Since the coop is in the garage, I like to keep as clean as possible. I use DE in the coop and there are no flies or bugs. I love spending time with my girls, so I'm always out there.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by