1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

KEEPING COOP COOL????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NickyNawlins, May 10, 2008.

1. NickyNawlins

NickyNawlins Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Louisiana
    It gets really hot and humid where I live so would it be best if I install a ventilation fan in my coop so it will stay dry and kinda cool? I plan on getting some Buff Orpingtons...

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I hang a 20" fan in the corner of my coop. It helps keep the temps down. Last year it was reaching temps of a 100* inside. Once I hung the fan it brought them down to the 80's-90's.

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:I'm thinking i'll need to do something like that too. It gets pretty hot here.

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used a misting type fan for my rabbits...I wonder if that could be used for chickens? Anyone know?

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  6. DaveMN

DaveMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Moose Lake, Mn
    if you don't have electricity or want to run electric to the coop you could go with a solar powered roof vent like on of these http://store.sundancesolar.com/soouli.html which run from less then 100 and go higher.
    I found that by adding a turbine roof vent that a lot of heat came out of the garage, worked much better than a regular roof vent.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I know very little about humidity - here, the humidity level often drops below 20% during Summer afternoons. Even after a snowy Winter and a cool Spring, it isn't hard for me to remember our searing mid-Summer days, however.

Dawn, the "10 Tips for a Cooler Coop" has good information for cooling a pre-existing coop.

For those folks thinking about construction design it may help to realize that the roof can be a somewhat seperate part of the structure. In other words, the coop can be essentially a box-shaped room and the roof an umbrella above it.

Houses with a well-ventilated attics will have ceilings that are a good deal cooler than they would be without that ventilation above. The sun beating down on a roof would heat the entire building otherwise. You may want to build a ceiling in your coop and open the area under the roof as much as possible to the outdoor air.

Inside the coop - Passive ventilation will work best if the air intake is low on a wall and the outlet is near the ceiling. A larger outlet will help move air while the inlet vent need not be so large since the hot air exiting the room will "pull" outside air thru the inlet. I can open the "chicken door" at ground level to allow cool air in and open a large net-covered window, that reaches all the way to the ceiling, to let hot air out.

Steve

Last edited: May 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by