Keeping crap off your deck or patio??? Good ideas?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by RoosterJosh, Oct 29, 2013.

1. RoosterJosh

RoosterJosh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2012
    Adams, WI
    Hello everyone!

I have a flock of 32 birds, (9 turkeys & 23 chickens) and I cant seem to keep them off of my 2 story deck. Short of removing my stairs I cant think of a way to stop them from coming up and pooping on my deck while I'm away from hope or asleep in the morning. They are free range birds that come and go as they please. My goals are to keep them from being penned up, leaving their wings in tact so they can fly to safety from predators, but also keeping my deck free of crap. Hoping someone has already ran into this and has already come up with some brilliant solution I'm not thinking of.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can put netting over your deck LOL...otherwise I don't know the solution. Hose off frequently. This is why I give them a large fenced run and I can walk around without stepping in anything.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Yeah, like ChickensAreSweet said... if they are flying up onto the deck/railing - kind of like the jokers below on the roof: [​IMG] If they are using the steps, only, use a short section of that plastic garden netting to create a `gate' (or whatever you have on hand that is lightweight and easy for you to swing out of the way). If there is another area nearby where they like to hang out (and where poop wouldn't be so much of an issue), construct some roosts out of 2"x2"'s (between trees, etc.and place them at about 3.5ft. (chooks and turks can get to them). Place some scratch in that area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by