Keeping crows from stealing eggs & duck food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BornToQuack, Jun 25, 2019.

1. BornToQuack

BornToQuack Songster

Jul 11, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    I accidentally created monsters by feeding a pair of American Crows. At first, all was well and they were content getting the occasional treat of meal worms, cheese, baked chicken scraps, and other healty tidbits.

Now, the crows boldly steal food from our ducks' food bowl, chase the ducks when the ducks are foraging for worms/bugs, and steal any duck eggs laid outside of the duck house.

It's my fault for welcoming and feeding the crows in the first place, so I feel bad completely cutting them off; however, they're becoming a nuisance. Any ideas for how to keep the crows away without scaring our ducks?

sourland and casportpony like this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They're doing that here too!

BornToQuack and Jpat like this.
  3. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Shooting crows is legal here, almost encouraged. Thats not for everyone though

Your in a sticky sitation i wish i had better advice

casportpony likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's legal here (California) when they are in season.

Jpat likes this.
  5. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Ooh never heard of crow season! They are considered Pest Animals here so its free-for-all

They are almost impossible to shoot

casportpony and Willowspirit like this.
  6. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    And they are so darn smart. They keep the hawks away here so I just bought them a bag of cracked corn and put offsets from the ducks a bit. My ducks are fed inside the coop so nothing for the crows to get.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When we first moved here, the crows would knock the lids off the trash cans and scatter garbage all over the back yard. I padded the jaws of a leg hold trap and set it on top of the opened garbage can. At daybreak pluperfect 'heck' broke out in the back yard. Princess asked, "What is that." I replied, "Crows being educated." I went out the back door and the screaming mob of crows went silent and landed in the trees. The trapped crow appeared resigned to accepting his/her fate. After giving it a lecture I turned it loose, and the crows since then have never messed with the trash cans. Educate the crows. They have great memories and tell stories of 'danger' to all generations. For me 'educated' crows have been great raptor deterrents.

8. BornToQuack

BornToQuack Songster

Jul 11, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We're in an urban area where shooting wildlife is illegal, and while the crows are a pain in our butts, we're still trying to stay on their "good" side (don't want to get dive bombed by crows who hold grudges).
    In any case, we're considering stringing up fishing line across the backyard which apparently scares most birds when it moves in the wind.

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Predator tape may work too it's shiny and crackles in the wind.

BornToQuack likes this.
  10. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Ours is Nov. 4- Feb 28th with no bag limit but we're in the country and somebody's always shooting something around here so I don't think anyone would notice. Thankfully they aren't a problem like that and they do keep the hawks away.

Miss Lydia and Jpat like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: