Keeping different age chicks together

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bossdog004, Feb 25, 2009.

1. bossdog004

bossdog004 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I have some 2 week old barred rock chicks and the feed store just got in some new chicks that I want.

Is it safe to keep these guys together in a brooder?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I ususally keep the news one seperate for a week or so and then merge them together. But if they are two far apart in age, you really need to watch them.

I have 1 lone chick (Babe) that hatched about a month ago. She has been hand raised by my boys. Last week, we hatched out some new chicks. When we put them with Babe, first she had no idea what to do with them and ran to the other side of the brooder. But 1 hour later, they were all trying to get under her and on her.

She is a very good serogate (spelling) mom for only being 1 month old.

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Iwill be having the same problem with my BA but will do like bossdog004 said...when I had my RIW I had a Royal Palm turkey hatch rest didn't make it and she is 1 week younger than the RIW but I merged them after a week and she is still with the whites..she thinks shes a chicken..except they are staying white and she is black on her white.. when she gets biger will merger witht he two old Royal Palms that are about 5 months now..but she is still to young to put with them. good luck.. Isn't this just fun all these decisions we have to make..I can't believe how attacked to chickens I have become... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. Butterball

Butterball Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    I would have to agree. It has been my experience that they will be fine mixed even up to 3 weeks age difference, however, they do need to be separate until the youngest are a week old.

5. bossdog004

bossdog004 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Why wait until the youngest are a week old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by