keeping different breeds together

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmyturkens, Jun 3, 2008.

1. luvmyturkens

luvmyturkens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Sorry if I sound really stupid about this, but I'm new to the chicken world. My son got 2 turkens for Easter. They were supposed to have been sexed as hens. One of our "hens" has now become a rooster. They are about 11 weeks old now. A week later, his aunt bought him an Americauna and a Silkie. As it turned out, the Americauna is a rooster. We haven't been able to decide yet on the Silkie. They are about 10 weeks old. Because of the cold weather we've had, we had to keep them in and did not keep them together because of space. Now that the weather had gotten nice, we are putting them outside. Can I put them all together?
    We have also added a California White hen to the mix, but she is only about 5 weeks old.Currently, they are in a 4 compartment rabbit hutch. The turkens are next to the silkie and the americauna and they don't seem to fight through the cage. As I said, I apologize if I sound dumb, but I want to do what is best for the birds.

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    When mixing flocks or adding new birds to an existing flock their will be some pecking and fighting. they do this to establish their pecking order, its normal. I wouldn't get worried until someone draws blood. Your doing the right thing by having them side by side so they can all see each other this will get them used to each other prior to introduction.
    I would watch your 5 week old careful, older birds can be rough with the young when first introduced.
    Good luck

PS Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

3. luvmyturkens

luvmyturkens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Thanks a lot! I was planning on keeping the younger one by herself for awhile (at least I hope its a "she", they advertised them as hens also)

I never thought I'd see the day I had chickens, but I love them and can't wait until we get some eggs.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I have had good luck intrducing new chickens, I have at least 7 different breeds together. Also 1 turkey girl who lives in harmony with them. I lost 1/2 of my hens in winter, down to 12 hens, 8 roosters, so I "jailed" 4 roosters. But they can all see eachother.
    So what do you think about your turkens? I have 3, one rooster he is very large, and 2 girls 1 blonde, 1 black. Alot smaller than the boy. I had to have them because turken rymes with my last name.[​IMG]! I wanted to knit little scarves for them in winter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by