Keeping Dogs from attacking?

gpridgen

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2018
How do you keep dogs out of your yard? Any suggestions? I lost one yesterday.
I have a high fence but those birds jump up and then fly over! Making a 12 X 12 coop and a closed in run but will not be done till over the weekend.

You could clip your birds flight feathers, let them grow out once the Coop/Run is done. My yard is fenced (residential) but I don't allow my girls to "free range" cause the neighbors got dogs (had 8, down to 4) & I've had "escapes".

Having a covered run, and keeping your birds in it. Clipping wing feathers on one side helps too. Some of my birds roost eight feet up in the coop rafters, so they could fly over our five foot fencing. They don't, because there's plenty of room (acres!) and interesting stuff to eat at home.
Birds traveling to the neighbor's are fair game; my dogs, who are very well fenced, would kill any birds who get in their yard too. It's what dogs are about.
Dogs entering your yard are another matter! Then the dog and it's owner are in the wrong.
Good luck managing your flock.
I've selected breeds of chickens who aren't noted for far ranging or huge flight, to help with this.
Mary

This is how I do it........

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/

Here is something else for all you non-believers. A few weeks back I installed this simple one strand, hot poly tape fence around a garden area, intended to be a playground area for 22 new pullets, which are now about 8 weeks old. The single wire works for crowd control.
20180609_181204.jpg
To my knowledge, all have been outside the wire only once since the wire went hot and that was when I turned a garden sprinkler on for the sweet corn. That sent them into a panic and they they went over, but only the one time. A few of them got popped, so maybe work spread? They could easily fly over, but don't.
20180609_181340.jpg
One of the reasons they stay in is they were given ample room to roam about and plenty of stuff to keep them busy. A band of rye grass, two rows of sweet corn, green grass with clover, bare dirt, etc. That is home sweet home, and no need to roam.

This single poly tape fence is inside the 4 wire perimeter fenced used to keep dogs and varmints out (and also birds in). I have taken to "baiting" the 4 wire hot fence to entice dogs and varmints to lick it. That means 13,000 volts of don't come back. Cheating? Yes. Effective? Yes!!!!!!

This is how I do it........

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/

Here is something else for all you non-believers. A few weeks back I installed this simple one strand, hot poly tape fence around a garden area, intended to be a playground area for 22 new pullets, which are now about 8 weeks old. The single wire works for crowd control.
View attachment 1436693
To my knowledge, all have been outside the wire only once since the wire went hot and that was when I turned a garden sprinkler on for the sweet corn. That sent them into a panic and they they went over, but only the one time. A few of them got popped, so maybe work spread? They could easily fly over, but don't.
View attachment 1436695
One of the reasons they stay in is they were given ample room to roam about and plenty of stuff to keep them busy. A band of rye grass, two rows of sweet corn, green grass with clover, bare dirt, etc. That is home sweet home, and no need to roam.

This single poly tape fence is inside the 4 wire perimeter fenced used to keep dogs and varmints out (and also birds in). I have taken to "baiting" the 4 wire hot fence to entice dogs and varmints to lick it. That means 13,000 volts of don't come back. Cheating? Yes. Effective? Yes!!!!!!

I think I will get some from Lowes - I have a fence up already and it is a pretty large area and has places for them but they like to get in the yard. more interesting things and of course the garden. Will have to make their area a lot more fun for them.

Back
Top Bottom