Keeping Drakes

Andromeda24

Hatching
Jun 26, 2015
USA
So I have a drake and 3 girl ducks. A few months ago I hatched a bunch of ducklings and ended up keeping 3. As of yet I know that 1 of the ducklings is a girl and 1 is a drake. The other one I'm not sure on yet (so a total of 4 or 5 girls and 2 or 3 drakes). So what I want to know is is it possible to keep 2 or 3 drakes together? I'm pretty sure I've read that if they all get along together you can keep several but at the same time I don't want them to wear my girls out. I'd really rather not have to get rid of any of them though. I've gotten quite attached to the little stinkers.

I have 4 males and 4 females and they all seem to be doing fine together. I started by ordering babies and got 1 hen and 3 drakes. Then a stray drake moved in. We bought 3 more hens to round out the flock. They all live together on our yard and creek. (4 Anconas, 1 Cayuga, 2 Muscovies and 1 I can't identify)

Last edited:
I have 4 males and 4 females and they all seem to be doing fine together. I started by ordering babies and got 1 hen and 3 drakes. Then a stray drake moved in. We bought 3 more hens to round out the flock. They all live together on our yard and creek. (4 Anconas, 1 Cayuga, 2 Muscovies and 1 I can't identify)
Make a thread and post a picture about that one you cant ID
We'll be happy to tell you
big_smile.png

Have you had any trouble with the drakes over-mating the girls? And for the most part are the drakes friendly with each other or is it more a case of they just tolerate each other?

Have you had any trouble with the drakes over-mating the girls? And for the most part are the drakes friendly with each other or is it more a case of they just tolerate each other?
They have their girlfriends and stay away from each others girl. They sometimes chase each other away from the food or the kiddie pool, just to be ornery
But they all hang out together and sleep together and generally get along

Thanks, that's a relief. I was worried that I'd have to get rid of one (or two, still a possibility I suppose). If the one turns out to be a drake I'm not terribly worried about it fighting with the other younger drake seeing as they have grown up together. I'm more so worried about my older drake (he is very protective of his girls) but as of yet he seems to have accepted them into his flock.
Two unrelated questions.
1. Technically what is a female duck called. Hen? Just plain old duck?
2. I'm pretty sure I've seen my older drake go after the younger drake like he was trying to mate with him. I'm assuming if that was what I was seeing that it was just a show of power?

Back
Top Bottom