Keeping duck 'pond' clean w/ bio-filter, recommendations for water plants they WONT eat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cheesehead, Apr 13, 2012.

1. cheesehead

cheesehead New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    Ive unsuccessfully made small duck ponds in the past that turned to algae pits, so I put a bit more thought into this one and would appreciate some feed back or "Do's & Dont's" if anyone has done anything similar. Pretty much a small pond, lined and filled then set up with a pump more than efficient to handle the water volume. Water will pass through screen & mesh to prevent duckie poo and all that good stuff ( to be washed off in the flowers) from clogging up the impeller, then pumped into a I'd say half a rain barrel size bio-filter slightly above pond then 'waterfalled' back in to the pond through bottom of bio filter. There are 5 ducks, and will be a floating rap astro-turfed as its easy to just hose off creating a one way in one way out wipe your feet effect.[​IMG] Also the edges will be fenced in and a screen dome will be placed over it to ensure they cannot carry wads of mud into it and pine needles & the such will stay out.
    I've read their oils will quickly muck up a pond area.....Do you think the filter will be sufficient? Attached pic of rough idea, maybe? Small set up for some ducks, and all in all If it does not work I can make a Koi pond?
    Thanks! oh, It will be dug about 1 foot deep and raised, making the whole thing maybe 2"deep. Also looking for plants to put in it such as giant water lettuce they will not decimate? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. AZrachel

AZrachel New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    would love to hear about this - did you ever get it going??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by