1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping ducklings indoors... Yuck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Vickers58, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    Here are some photos of our set up. We did not want to repeat the filthy nightmare of our last go round so we decided to go big or go home! It's made of plywood zip tied together with hardware cloth zip tied to the windows and a small feeding area to let the muck fall through.... Well some of it. The floor is covered with a tarp and then we added wood shavings.... Until they started eating those. So we added the foam cabinet liner on top of that. We made two sets so one is always clean to replace the yucky one! It's on wheels to move for cleaning the slop catch buckets, for sweeping, and for moving away from the window on cold nights. It's tall enough so they will be contained, but there is a small spot for me to lean into for cleaning, and feeding. Anyhow... Just thought if share our duckling fantasy island!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    very nice !!!

3. Ducks-love-me

Ducks-love-me Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    Are they ducklings or ducks?it is a very good home.

4. Vickers58

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    Thanks!! They are both two weeks old! Our older two are in a hoop coop outside... It looks like this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh... And please excuse our friend in the tank top.... He thought that was a good look.

5. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Wow that is an AMAZING coop! Great job. Did u build that?

6. Vickers58

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    My husband did! Search "hoop coop". This is two cattle hoops with chicken wire and hardware cloth walls. It took a day to make and I am in love with it! Ducks are so messy that this gives enough space to spread out and breath! And it's easy to tarp down in the winter!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Vickers58, thank you for posting this! So many people come to the Duck Forum looking for solutions. I will try to remember this thread.

1 person likes this.
  8. Vickers58

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    Yay! Thanks Amiga, I hope this helps someone! I scoure this forum and tried to combine the best solutions! We are still tweaking it, but water control is the only thing I can recommend to keep yourself from exploding from frustration!

1 person likes this.
  9. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    This sure as heck helps me! Thanks sooo much! How much did it cost though?!?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks-love-me, it is a bit of work, but many people build amazing things out of old discarded wooden pallets.

And they are free, most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by