Keeping ducks during the winter!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Augustine val, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Augustine val

Augustine val Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2015
    Hello everyone! This is my first winter with ducks. I was wondering what I should do with them! For my chickens water I use a heated base and my friend is offering me another one for free! Is a Heated base good for ducks? How do you handle your ducks during the winter? Everything is helpful!!:)

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    THE HEATED BASE WILL KEEP WATER LIQUID DURING COLD. OF COURSE ITS ALL GOOD. I have a variety of pets that I need to provide water for during winter. Includes cats and pigeons. No ducks yet. [​IMG]

3. Augustine val

Jul 19, 2015
    Thank you! I love my chickens and ducks!

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    We live in tbe Pacific Northwest and it is ideal for ducks because they love the rain all winter. ;)

I have raised ducks in the snow (Colorado and Central Washington) and I gave them a warm spot under a trampoline that melted the snow and ice so they had a nice warm spot to sleep at night. We had coyotes at the edge of our property all the time but because we had wolves they did not come close enough to the ducks and chickens or our livestock. The chicken coop was one side of the goat pen but the Muscovy ducks were free range at all times and they did not ever wander too far (our pasture was fenced but not for birds). We also had spring water that formed a pond that did not freeze solid so that was ideal for the ducks. We did have to break ice from time to time but it was only a thin sheet that formed in the coldest weather.

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    @Duck Drover
    You mention wolves. Were they your pets on your grounds? or just wild ones that kept coyotes away?

6. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington

They were our pets. We had silver foxes and other bird predators (including a cougar) too. I have actually raised alot of exotics but it was obviously important to keep the wolves penned properly. The coyotes would only get so close and no closer so it may have seemed a bit strange to use one predator to keep away another predator but it was effective.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My 5 Ducks sleep in an insulated Dog House with a door on it..I use pine shaving in the House..The run is a 10x10 enclosed Dog run with a tarp on top..I put clear plastic on three sides to keep out the wind and snow..I have straw down in half the run so they can snuggle in it and also to keep their feet warm..I have straw bales around the dog house for added insulation..I use a heated bucket for water and a Rubber livestock bowl for water...I refresh the water 3 times a day and keep food out at all times...
    Ducks can take the cold, its the wind they can not handle..

Cheers!

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I use heated pails because they need to still dunk their heads. Most farm suppliers carry them. I shovel snow back, they all have access to various shelter but other than my calls no dedicated housing, they actually prefer the huge cedar tree hedging in the main pen.... I shut down my pools though, i dislike having to thaw a duck by the fire lol. A few still sneak into the heated sheep troughs tho.

9. Augustine val

Jul 19, 2015
    Hello! Thank you for help!! What type of heated bucket do you use??

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

A free heated base?? Jump on that! lol... as long as the water container you use is not one that melts at low temp you should be fine... like another poster said, they just need to be able to dunk their heads to clear out their eyes and nares during winter...

Personally, I just use some rubber tubs and knock out the ice block when it freezes and refills... no pools til temps stay above freezing all night... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by