keeping Ducks happy during winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nailor coop, Jan 9, 2015.

1. nailor coop

nailor coop New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    United States, NY
    Hi guys,

I have chickens and ducks living together, 6 chickens and 4 Khaki Campbell. The coop is raised up and the chickens go in at night with a timed light (to keep them laying egg ;-) and some extra warmth) that leaves the ducks below in an area that is secured by fencing and during the winter it is sealed wit sheets of plastic roofing material, a little extra insulation and, most importantly windproof! Along the inner perimeter I have hay bales lined up, that seals it and insulates it nicely. The 2 Khaki Campbell girls sit on it once in a while and even lay eggs there. For really cold nights there is a dog igloo in it filled with shavings, it is mostly used for egg laying. Because the floor is just simple dirt (perfect for the dust baths) I do spread out, half of the area with a nice thick layer of hay. The area that hold the water heater and water container stays clear from hay. During the day I keep the door open enough for everyone to get out of the coop and catch some healthy sunlight. The hay in front is the hay that got to messy for the coop.
    The ducks are more resilient than chickens but their little feet do get cold and I see how they prefer to stand on the hay and snuggle up in it. After all that talk: keep every one from cold winds and a accessible warm place to take a nap and warm up.

[​IMG]
    Here is the coop closed of with plastic roofing material

[​IMG]
    Everyone inside waiting for spring

2. Wow. ;) I have to say, you are doing well with your ducks and chickens. Better than me. :) I have been wanting to get some hay on the floor and stuff.... it's just so expensive these days. Sounds like your ducks and chickens are happy! I have eight chickens and six ducks. I have a medium sized coop and a run outside. My coop doesn't have insulation or any of that fancy stuff.... but they seem OK. :) That coop looks nice and warm!

3. nailor coop

nailor coop New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    United States, NY
    Thank you. I barricaded it up because this is my first winter with the ducks and I wanted to make sure every one is happy/healthy.
    Yes, hay is pricey. During the pumpkin carving season, when stores have straw and hay bales out for decoration, I ask what they do with it after they are done, some times I get lucky and they want to throw it out. Same with the vegetable section in the groceries store, they have to get rid off the greenery if it starts looking unappealing and they either give it away or for a dollar sell it to you. Worth a try for the little extra green in the winter.

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Do you have ventilation holes somewhere in there? The shelter looks good, but ventilation is extremely important (even in winter) to let out all the moisture in the air produced by the ducks.

5. Wow! I should try that this year! Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

6. nailor coop

nailor coop New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    United States, NY
    Yes, ventilation is important! I have 4" ,that's about 9-8 cm, of a gap all along the roof line. Most days the door is propped open so the the don't have to feel cooped up, unless it is really nasty out, I close it. Once the weather gets better and warms up in the spring we take down the sheeting and store it away. That leaves your typical chicken wired run.
    here is the run/coop in the warm weather. The open part, by the roof, has been closed with wire now. The pictures here is when we just build it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Awesome! You do have quite the set-up there! :D

8. nailor coop

nailor coop New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    United States, NY
    Thanks Orca!