1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping ducks out of my barn

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nyrunner, Sep 21, 2015.

1. nyrunner

nyrunner Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    So I have 4 muscovy ducks and I built a coup for them about 100ft away from my barn but all they love to do is run to the barn when I let them out in the morning and won't free range. There is plenty of grass and area to forage outside.

2. nyrunner

Sep 21, 2015
    Bump

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you think they maybe scared? how old are they? most ducks don't like it wide open where they don't have cover to hide. If you want to keep them out of your barn close the door but please make sure they have a safe place to get if a predator comes around.

4. kristy2122

kristy2122 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    Mine love our goats house for some reason. It has a lot of flies so maybe that's why.

5. nyrunner

Sep 21, 2015
    Ya I mean it is basically just horse fields so they are wide open but I built them cover thats pretty large outside there coup. And when it's night time they have no problem going outside that's actually where they prefer at night. And my ducks are about 6 months old

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You leave them out over night? I am going to say this as nice as I can, you are just leaving bait out for predators, sooner probably than later something is going to come through your property and have a field day at the expense of your ducks who don't know the dangers that await them which makes it our responsibility to protect them by locking them up in secure housing over night at least. They may prefer to stay out at night but they are dumber than us we should know better than to let them do what they want.

7. nyrunner

Sep 21, 2015
    No I don't leave them out at night I'm always around if they are out anywhere close to dusk. Before I head inside I always lock them up in there coup. I'm just saying once when that sun starts going down they have no problem going outside. I know the dangers of predators around here sorry for the confusion there

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's a relief you sound like a responsible owner. Then as long as your aware of preds. Hopefully they will eventually feel secure to move around the property more.Some people make shelters out in the open so their flocks have a place of refuge from flying predators. Thankfully we have alot of cover here in trees and bushes but we still get visitation from just about any pred you can name walking, slithering and flying.

9. nyrunner

Sep 21, 2015
    Ya I'm starting to kick myself in the butt for not building it on the edge of the woods. I just figured I could see if any predator is coming as I'm around them most of the time they are outside. I guess I'll just gave to build another shelter in the field

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Something as simple as this for out in the open maybe from scrap wood laying around where they can go under to be protected from flying preds

[​IMG]simple A frames would work to little hiding places won't protect them from walking preds but being out in the open flying preds will really be a threat.

the lil A frame would work too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by