Keeping Ducks Penned

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WMDAVIS99, Oct 16, 2009.

1. WMDAVIS99

WMDAVIS99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Sinking Spring PA
    During the day my Ducks Free Range and swim in our pond all day. In the evening I head to the pond and march them home.

We are going on vacation in a few weeks and my original plan was to keep them in their pen and have someone come by to make sure they have water and food.

My wife thinks they will freak out if they cannot get out of the pen. I told her they will be fine.

What are your thoughts?

Their pen is a 6 foot by 6 foot enclosed pen with an attached Dog House to provide them shelter. There are only two ducks.

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I would keep them penned. If you are gone and can't put them in then you may come home to no ducks. Easy prey for predators

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    They will be fine penned. They will just be extremely happy to see you come home and let them out!! [​IMG]

4. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    How long will you be gone for? I vote for keeping them penned, but things do get pretty messy. If mine have a deep kitty litter tray they can get in and bathe in, they are fairly content penned in. Would whoever is caring for them be willing to hose down the poo every now and then as well?

5. I agree, they won't exactly be happy about being penned after what they are used to, but at least they will be alive! [​IMG]
    They are very adaptable given reasonal conditions like you are setting up so a few days are not going to hurt them at all.

6. ohsnapitscharity

ohsnapitscharity Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    columbia
    getalife.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    my indoor ducks stayed penned but my sister usually bathes them while i am away (in the tub). They are always EXTREMELY happy to see me when i get back. they are little love bird who insist on being pet, and they often get more lovie when they miss me. lol

8. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Just out of curiousity, what do you do with them in the wintertime? Do they have a heated pond or something else?

9. smurfboe

smurfboe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Phillipston, MA
    I live in New England and right now our days are shorter. Dark when we leave for work and dark when we get home so my four don't get free time outside of their pen until the weekend. They are a bit fiesty when I clean at night, but are safe and sound. We also went on vaca for a week and had a sitter come by daily to change water, clean, and feed. They were fine when we got home. I think my pen is about the same size as your if you don't include their house.

10. WMDAVIS99

WMDAVIS99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Sinking Spring PA
    Somebody will be cleaning their pen, but I am afraid if they let them out, they will not come back to their pen for a stranger.

Seems like they will be a little angry but will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by