Keeping Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FeatherMtnFarms, Feb 20, 2016.

1. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2015
    Hello, we have been keeping chickens now for about a year and are interested in maybe getting ducklings this coming spring, however, we have never had ducks before and would like to know if they need a separate housing (or if they could use the chicken coop) they will be staying with the chickens but we were wondering if they needed a different house or not, if they can eat the chicken food, we know some people just feed their ducks chicken feed but do they need their own duck food, what to do about the water, we know they need water but we do not know how much or how big etc., and lastly, if ducks need any different things than chickens. We are wanting 2 drakes, would they do ok together? Thank you!

2. brad3126

brad3126 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2015
    NYS adirondacks
    Hi I keep my ducks in with my chickens but they are messy. I keep a watering bowl outside their coop and they will jump in it although water is good for their feathers . I have Muscovy and khaki Campbell ducks and sometimes they do fight but not enough to hurt each other.

3. brad3126

brad3126 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2015
    NYS adirondacks
    oh I forgot I do feed them the same as my chickens and whole corn but ill tell you they love mini chunks dog food which can get expensive but I give that to them as treats.

4. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you getting them as ducklings or adults? This is very important because same chicken feed has antibiotics and does not have enough Niacin. Once their adults feeding the same less the antibiotics should be fine.

Ducks will rarely sleep indoors, they love being under the stars. They need tons of fresh water for drinking and clearing their nostrils. Which breed are you planning to acquire?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  5. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    We would be getting them as ducklings. We are not sure what breeds quite yet...still researching.

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ducks need protection from predators at night just as chickens do.
    If you are getting males, you want separate housing. Male ducks are different from roosters and if they mate a chicken hen, a male duck could injure or kill the hen.

7. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Oh no that is terrible! So do you think they may get along better if we got females?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by