1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping eggs before incubation...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelly77, Dec 1, 2012.

1. kelly77

kelly77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Inside the coop temps are about 40 degrees or 45...its comfortable ...the first egg was cool and in the coop a few hours, the 2nd egg a few days...and the 3rd one was warm since she must have been sitting on it all night. They are all in the house at room temp. House is about 65-70 degrees. On the counter on their sides and I am rotating them 3xs a day. We are setting up a homemade incubator tomorrow. Gonna run it 12 hours first. Are these eggs going to be ok? Any tips? They are fertile

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as they are fertile and you can maintain proper temperature and humidity in the incubator, there is no reason they should not be viable.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. kelly77

Jul 20, 2012
    We are going to hatch one of our Silkies first eggs. We have 4 eggs saved and I am pretty sure they are fertile from our Silkie mixed Rooster. This is our first year raising chickens and first attempt incubating so hopefully we will have some chicks around Christmas!

5. kelly77

Jul 20, 2012
    I just read in an article that the eggs should be stored pointy side down...I have had mine on their sides rotating them 3xs a day...will this effect them? They are ranging from Nov 27th to Dec 2nd...should I save new ones?

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh they are fine like that!! not shipped CANT GET ANY BETTER!!

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    adding... I only put them in egg carton IF air cells are rolling from shipping! the silkies have touchy air cells as did the serama so they remain in the carton until I can tell if they are viable...

[​IMG]

8. kelly77

Jul 20, 2012
    Ya they were all fresh, hand picked from our hen on the same day or few days after she layed. I put a flash light next to all of them and can see a circle ...that must be an airsac? The circle is on the wide side of all of them ...some are a little bigger then others. Is there a way to tell if they are fertile ...or do I have to wait till they are in the incubator?

Wow you have a huge amount of eggs! That is going to be a lot of chickens! LOL I tried to explain to my husband this "chicken math" everyone talks about. So far we only have 4 chickens

9. chicksooner

chicksooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Sally I think you can fit a few more eggs in. I saw a little space left in the corner. [​IMG]

About day 4 or 5 of incubation is when you will be able to see development with a little flash light. I have read that storing them big end up in an egg carton is the best way since it helps keep the aircell from shifting. Haven't kept eggs around long enough to see if this is valid.

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Chicksooner you werent to see that until I posted in the thread!! LMAO!!

Kelly ~ come on over and join chicksooner and a few others in thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs/1530 just come say hello and a sums of whats in the bator!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by