Keeping eggs from rolling around

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by micmse, Apr 10, 2012.

1. micmse

micmse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am a teacher and every year we hatch eggs. The project has grown to many different breeds of chickens and we have had really great success. The one thing that bothers me and the kids every year is when they start hatching the first few chicks get rowdy and cause the other ones to roll around. Is there a way to keep them more stable? Also what do you do about them pecking at the ones trying to hatch?

Thanks!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You can hatch in egg cartons. I turn them in cartons then lay flat last three days. But many like to hatch in cartoons. Makes it all so easy really. Using a small block of wood to hold one side up- tilted. To turn just pick up the cartoon (as soon as your at school) and rotate 180 so it's tilted in opposite direction, do it again at end of school day. In last 3 days you can cut down the carton some but still hold eggs in place and take out the blocks of wood because you no longer turn eggs.

Note: Eggs are placed small end down, fat end up.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. micmse

micmse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    St. Louis
    How do you do it if you want them to be in the carton for the actually hatching? Is there another way to keep the chicks out from knocking the eggs all over?

Thanks!

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I hatched in the carton this past time, I set them air sack up and lay them in a flat carton I use the top of the carton to put a small dish of food and water so when the chicks are all dry they can stay in the hatcher a bit longer cause they have food and water :)

5. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    I would like to know too... My ducklings were shoving the other eggs everywhere. We have one of those see through small incubators (Sebring?), and tho the chicks are small, they are huge in there..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by