Keeping eggs warm during shipping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by little_grey_bantam, Jan 19, 2010.

1. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Was wondering if anyone has shipped eggs using warm heating pads?
    I'm sending eggs to a place that is cold and was wondering if anyone knows how to keep the eggs just warm enough NOT to freeze?

I've always shipped eggs when the place were cooler, but the buyer is quite possibly taking the risk of the eggs freezing [​IMG]
    I've got shipping down, now how about warmth?

I was thinking about keeping them warm with those little foot warmer things and hand things for hunting as I don't know anything else you could use?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can just see the eggs cooking or the bubble wrap/foam melting!!! O.O

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Those types of warmers don't last long enough. However I have heard that some have used warmers for shipping reptile that last about 3 days. You might check into that. Also if you can ship in a small styro cooler (like for Omaha steaks) that should protect them better.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Great excuse for ordering Omaha steaks! [​IMG] Thanks!

4. little_grey_bantam

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Ooooo... styrofoam boxing... good idea [​IMG]
    Now to find one small enough to fit into those standard rate shipping boxes O.O LOL

Do you know where to find those reptile shipping heaters???? And how much????

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Maybe you could just use pieces of styrofoam cut from a cheap cooler or packing material from other merchandise. I wonder if you would have to fasten the edges together securely for best insulation. Perhaps you could use duct tape and make a little styrofoam box that fits in the priority shipping box. You could ask on your local FreeCycle for pieces of styrofoam.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Check with your local pharmacy or hospital pharmacy. They often receive drug vials in styrofoam shippers that are very thick-walled and will usually give them to you free. You can ask them to save them for you and pick them up when they have a few collected.

I get them from our hospital pharmacy and use them to ship. It's not necessary to put them in another box. They are very sturdy for shipping just as they are. (At least the ones I get) It's MUCH cheaper to send them that way.

I can send a dozen + a couple extra to most anywhere for around $8.00 (bantam eggs, that is) PRIORITY MAIL. No need to spend the extra on "flat rate" when the package can be sent cheaper. 15 bantam eggs wrapped in bubble-wrap and sent in the styrofoam shipper weigh about 1 pound 10 to 14 ounces. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  7. little_grey_bantam

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:It just dawned on me, how do you send your eggs? I mean, whenever I purchase eggs, they get to me 3 days tops, but what happens if you live on the East Coast and you're sending eggs to the West? How do you send them so that they are cheaper, but arrive on a timely date???

O.O good idea on the insulation!! [​IMG] I have a pharmacy not too far away from me! [​IMG]

Edit: just read your little postmark thingy on the bottom - thanks for raising a wonderful, strong daughter [​IMG] !!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I had some betta fish shipped to me when it was cold, there were warmers but they also used, like others here have mentioned, a styrofoam box. They came from Colorado and arrived in perfect shape, so I would definitely recommend that kind of box.

9. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    The aquarium store I used to go to recieved shipments of tropical fish in styrofoam boxes, you might check with on near you, but cutting sheets of used styro to line a box should work well if they are fit tightly together (just put extra padding around the eggs because styrofoam sides are hard, so if sides get dented it can push the foam in and cause damage).

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I ship all of my eggs in the styrofoam shippers now. It will protect them from the heat and cold. I bubble wrap each one of them, line the shipper in styrofoam and put one sheet of bubble wrap on top of the eggs, then close them up and tape it up good. I put fragile stickers on the outside or write "fragile" on it, put priority stickers on it..(you can also use the post office priority tape to close it up), tape the shipping label on top and it's ready to go.

In freezing weather, I write "Hatching eggs. Do NOT allow to freeze" on at least 2 sides. So far I've had one egg that cracked during shipping but I always send a couple extra for this reason. It is rare that it ever takes more than 2 days for the eggs to get from me (Florida) to as far away as California. Occasionally it will take 3 days, but not often.

I scored 6 more shippers yesterday at work!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by