keeping eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mklmrphy956, Oct 28, 2011.

1. mklmrphy956

mklmrphy956 New Egg

Jan 29, 2011
    can someone tell me how long can fresh eggs remain unrefrigerated before they go bad?

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I have never had them go bad; I keep them at room temp approx 3 wks then fridge up to 3 months. They are gathered daily. If I happen to find questionable eggs I do the float test and if they pass (don't float) I use them first or refridgerate in a day or two. I don't wash my eggs but will brush off or spot wash a dirty area. If an egg is dirtier than that I use it first and do wash it before cracking.
    Most countries do not refridgerate eggs.

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:What she said....except if I find an egg has more than just a spot or two of poop on it I cook it for the dogs.

4. mklmrphy956

mklmrphy956 New Egg

Jan 29, 2011
    thx for the info. i know before the day of the refrigerator they must have stored them at room temp im guessing

5. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
  6. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    I wipe any poop off with a damp sponge and then they go into a basket on the counter in the coolest part of the kitchen. I have not refrigerated an egg since we started keeping chickens.

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Thanks for the link....I really enjoyed reading it and it was very informative. My mom always kept roosters, she said that the eggs stayed fresher longer if they were fertile. I thought it was an old wives tale but it looks like she was right. I have always kept roosters in my flock as well but I never really believed, until now, that being fertile actually kept the eggs fresh longer. I just thought you had to have them to make baby chicks and they make really good gumbo and chicken and dumplings. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by