1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping Fingers Crossed! The Drought May Have Ended!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    It's been almost two months with days with no eggs. one egg, two eggs. If I got four eggs, it was a good day. Out of 35 chickens. [​IMG]

Yes, most are pullets, but my 15 adult hens were producing almost nothing because of the molt. Yesterday, I got four eggs from the Barnevelders, one egg from the EE and one egg from the RIR. [​IMG]

This morning I found three eggs from my EEs when only one was laying. One egg looks like a pullet egg! [​IMG]

My hens must know it's Christmas week! [​IMG]

2. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    And now, the Barnevelders decided to not lay today. [​IMG]

3. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG]:thumbsup
    Ayda
    Hopefully mine will be next! Have been getting 3-4 eggs outof 36 layers!!! Added light from 3AM-8AM on Dec 5 and still nothing![​IMG]

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My chickens have not laid an egg since before Thanksgiving, molting and stuff.
    So, yesterday, I actually bought eggs [​IMG]

I will probably find an egg now. [​IMG]

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I tried putting pepper in their oatmeal last night as an experiment. I got an egg before the lights even came on this morning. I was shocked! Can't wait to see if there are more when I go home! [​IMG] I was getting 0-1 a day for weeks and I have 16 girls [​IMG]

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm getting about 50% from spring pullets that were laying daily. The short days are certainly affecting them. The solstice was yesterday so hang in there -- the days are getting longer now. They'll be burying you in eggs in a couple of months.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I've been in the same boat. Nothing but one egg now and then from one of my EEs. I started with supplemental light a couple of weeks ago, after they'd all finished their moult and were once again fully feathered. I got two eggs a day earlier this week, and got four yesterday, and four today. Yesterday's eggs were two blue/green, two brown. Today was three EE eggs and a white one. Oh, and I also bought eggs from the grocery store earlier this month. Am now using them for baking as I don't particularly care to eat them. My DS who is in college asked me to bring some eggs last week when I went to visit him. I told him he couldn't have any because my chickens weren't laying, and that I actually bought some. The boy was shocked. He doesn't remember the last time we had "store eggs" in the house! [​IMG] But now I can give him some for Christmas.

8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Yahoo! have 5 eggs before 10:00. Maybe the laying has started:fl:fl:fl:fl
    Ayda

9. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Today I collected 5 eggs too. Not that many, compared to the number of chickens I have, but at this point, getting 5 to 6 eggs each day is a start.

On another note, I saw that the RIRs were growing feathers again.

10. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Gosh, I hope so. I have one customer that now wants 5 dozen eggs a week. [​IMG] Seems he and his son are on the primeval diet where they eat mostly meat and eggs. I told them that come spring time, I could supply them with chicken and duck eggs, but not much now.

I actually resorted to store eggs because I needed to bake.

Darn chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by