keeping flock young and laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by abhaya, Nov 23, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I am thinking ahead. I dont really want my large fowl to be pets they are for eggs and meat. I cant decide what would be the better option.
    My girls are 1 RIR 1 Barred rock 1 brown leghorn 3 sex link
    chicks I have now 2 austroplop 2 EE
    Option 1 hatch eggs that would be crossed with my EE roo? I have silkies that will thake care of the hatching.
    Option 2 buy new chicks each spring.

Or do some of both to keep new blood in the flock?

I would be taking the older birds to freezer camp once the young birds start laying in both options.
    What would egg production be from off spring of the EE roo?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think it will be a trial thing. If you are raising eggs to sell, you might want to take it more seriously. If you want enough for your family, I think it would be fun to see what you get. You will have to keep records, to know who is doing what. I have heard of having different years, with different color of eggs. For example, get white egg layers one year, brown egg layers the next. Have fun!

I too like to go through and freshen up the flock. Perhaps I have one favorite, that I will keep, she is a good mother and broody, but at the end of next summer my older hens are going to go, and I will have hens just over a year, and hopefully new babies on the grow.

To me, ideal would be a couple of hens at 2 years +, couple of hens at 1 year+, and pullets.

mk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by