keeping free range chickens safe

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BSfarm, Aug 20, 2014.

1. BSfarm

BSfarm Just Hatched

Jul 24, 2014
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop my chickens from flying over the safety fence? I ended up losing a leghorn R.I.P. Hiccup, to my dog because the **** chicken wouldn't learn to stay in the pen. This is my first go round w/ chickens and especially with a death. I gotta say the leghorns seem to be the worst about this. As Hiccup now gone and Sally often try do some extra free ranging on their own. But the other day I went to feed the chickens some table scraps as always and my Barred Rock (Michele Obama) a.k.a Mo flew up and over the fence in excitement i believe. But I don't want to lose my chickens in this manner. Any ideas?

2. Janis R

Janis R Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Clip the wings

3. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    You can make the fence a little taller to keep them from escaping, or put a wire top on.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Breed selection, electrified poultry netting, and train dog.

5. Rainier

Rainier Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Thurston County, WA
    X2
    We had that problem with our chickens. We clipped the wings and they now stay in our yard. Thankfully they didn't start flying over to the neighbors yard until she had rehomed him. He was/is a chicken killer, killed three of her chickens before being rehomed.

6. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    put a top on it and it stops from hawk attacks...

7. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Until I put a solid roof on my run, I'm using the inexpensive bird netting for bushes...it comes in various sizes (a 14'x14' is about $5). I have a mixed flock most of which are great flyers and I do let them free range but when they're confined to the run and coop, this netting has done extremely well in stopping them from flying out. They can see it and the roosts in the run are high enough they can reach it but they don't bother with it.

8. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Also, with a free-ranging flock, I would NOT recommend clipping wings as it is one way they have to escape if they run into ground predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by