Keeping geese + ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesgliders, Jul 22, 2011.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I am thinking that next spring I would maybe like a Sebastopol goose or two. Would they be able to live with my three Mallards, or would the size difference be too extreme? The Mallards would have the "home turf advantage" at first, obviously.

Would it be better to get a pair, a singleton male, or a singleton female? I am unsure what sexes my Mallards are (they are still young).

I have a large enclosure and pond planned.

2. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    we keep our 2 Embden and 2 Sebbies with our 20 other ducks. Including runners, Pekins, Swedes, Muscovy, Khaki Campbell and mixed breeds. No problems. [​IMG]
    A pair is better as they do hang out with the other geese not really the ducks except the pekins.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:Thanks so much for your quick response! I was leaning toward a pair as I didn't want a single gosling raised in the house to bond too strongly with me (since I am unable to keep a house goose). Do you house your ducks/geese together at night?

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Ours do very well around the ducks, ducklings and chickens too. They actually tolerate the others in the shade, but when they walk around they look like they are looking down their noses at the other virus. LoL

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:Thanks so much for your quick response! I was leaning toward a pair as I didn't want a single gosling raised in the house to bond too strongly with me (since I am unable to keep a house goose). Do you house your ducks/geese together at night?

Yes they are housed together at night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by