Keeping geese on lake

Discussion in 'Geese' started by aaustin93, Mar 18, 2012.

1. aaustin93

aaustin93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Hello! I am goin off to college soon so I need to get my goose and my duck out of my high school's FFA landlab. I have two choices; I can either find them a new home): or I can keep them at my house. Its on a nice lake and I know they'd love it, but I'm worried about raccoons getting them. We have lots of raccoons by my house. Would they get an adult African goose and an adult pekin? Would having another goose help? Thank you!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Yes, they could grab and kill either or both of them. They would need a secure house for over night to be locked up for protection. Think dog house with a door and ventilation or rectangle with a sloped roof and door and ventilation.

3. aaustin93

aaustin93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Okay, thank you so much! :)

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    A dog house would work just fine. Just make sure it's big enough for the two of them. Put a door on there so you can lock them up and cover the vent holes with strong mesh wire. Just make sure you put them up each night and let them out early in the morning. You don't need food and water in there but you do have to have a routine and stick to it.

My geese are in a pen with housing, food and water. They have everything they need. They are let out every morning at 7. Although, I have a goose that lays eggs is a separate coop outside the pen that I have to lock up. Sometimes she is in there overnight. I make sure I get to her right away so she doesn't get angry about being confined. She does just fine. As a matter of fact a broody hen shares that dog house size coop with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by