Keeping geese with chickens

Faizan Ali

Songster
May 7, 2021
Will a pair of chinese geese ( I don't even know the breed since there are only 1 type of geese found in Pakistan which look like Chinese) live peacefully with 4 chickens in a 70 sqft pen and separate coops? I asked on Facebook and people had mixed thought some said their geese have injured their hens and even killed them and some said its possible.

My geese ducks and chickens all free range together on little over half acre fenced. But the geese have their own house. No way the geese can sleep in with the other birds. Usually all my gander has to do is lower his head at a chicken or duck and that lets them know they are close enough. They have never injured one of my other birds other than my Muscovy drake and my gander fighting then they have to be separated.

I'm about two weeks into keeping all my ducks, geese, and chickens together. So far it's going okay. The ducks and geese did get used to seeing the chickens in a protected run inside their pen for about a month before everyone mixed together. In general, they don't interact, but I'm prepared if they need to be separated. I think the more room they have the better the outcome. Some of my friends totally free range everyone together, and have zero issues, so 70sq ft might be too small.

It may work, or it may not. It's hard to tell, because all of these animals are individuals and individual's behave differently in different environments.
My ducks and geese coexist in the same area and they do very well together. They have a very large pen, I forget how many square footage. I think having more space is always going to be better, (as well as for having places to hide, or get away from) I'm not sure if your amount of space is enough.
That being said, I am always keeping close eye on how the geese/ducks behave so I can nip any problem behavior in the bud and separate them if necessary.

It may work, or it may not. It's hard to tell, because all of these animals are individuals and individual's behave differently in different environments.
My ducks and geese coexist in the same area and they do very well together. They have a very large pen, I forget how many square footage. I think having more space is always going to be better, (as well as for having places to hide, or get away from) I'm not sure if your amount of space is enough.
That being said, I am always keeping close eye on how the geese/ducks behave so I can nip any problem behavior in the bud and separate them if necessary.
True that. For now I guess I'll just enjoy my neighbours geese from a distance it's funny to watch them terrorise everybody passing from the street but nobody complains about them since authorities won't do anything anyway.

I got 5 geese as babies, and one of my broody chicken hens raised them from day old. So mine grew up in the field and chicken house they are in now, and they sleep in the chicken house with 20 chickens, on the floor. Sometimes they bully the smaller hens, but if they do, my big BCM roo, puts them in their place.

But the one time I tried to integrate a new hen into that established flock, the geese immediately killed the new hen. Even though they knew her from seeing her across the single fence separating the two flocks. So you can raise them together as long as they are not the ultimate boss, Heihei my BCM is 🙂, and as long as there are no "Intruders" of new birds. If you do, make sure you integrate the new bird(s) sloooooowly.

I got the geese to protect the chickens from predators, but they are a hassle dealing with their territoriality.

I have a 7 month old African Geese. I raised her in a spare bedroom from a one day old gosling. When she was a couple months old I put her in a playpen which I would keep outside the coop when the weather was good then I would put the playpen in the chicken coop for the night. The coop is about 20 by 10 and I have 3 full grown hens and 3 roosters as well as 6 young hens I raised from day one in the same room as "Annie" the goose but in separate enclosures. After a while I freed Annie and she never caused a problem with the chickens or the pair of ducks who visit the coop to snitch a little chicken feed every now and then. I think she thinks she's a chicken.
I had gotten her as a goose guard dog after our dog had to go to the Rainbow Bridge. We're in our 80s and did not feel up to getting another large dog. Annie has a wonderful disposition but the visitors and delivery people don't know that and she scares the devil out of them :)

8 weeks old P1010544_02.JPG

If the chickens get close enough to my geese, my geese WILL rip a mouthful of feathers out of their skin and go for seconds....
Oh god- that's harsh I originally wanted chickens for eggs and wanted to add geese too as I've always wanted geese but it feels like I should not get geese atleast right now. I'll see wht others have to say.

Back
Top Bottom