1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping geese with other birds

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mammachucky, Mar 31, 2008.

1. mammachucky

mammachucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    CO Durham England
    Hi all

Can you keep geese with chickens and ducks would like to hatch my own as I have heard they are much nicer when hand reared.. Is this okay or do they need to be seperate???

Nicola

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I do not advocate mixing water fowl with other fowl. I like all of my livestock in their own runs and coops. Ducks and geese like water and are very messy. Ducks are messier than geese I am told. I raised ducks last summer and I have never seen such messy mucky things. These animals are better served living amongst their own kind in their own environments in my opinion. There are people that do mix them but I do not.

3. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    If you have the room, it shouldn't be a problem. We free-range domestic geese, ducks and chickens, with no issues. As mentioned, waterfowl can be messy, but still a joy to work with if you have the time and space.

Be careful with some of the aggressive species such as the Egyptian Geese, even hand-reared birds can become quite nasty towards other birds.

Dan

4. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Water fowl and chickens will fight some, same as all birds, to set a pecking order. The only thing you really have to worry about if you have ducks and geese together is making sure that everyone has a mate. If you have extra ganders and ducks with them they will try to mount the hen ducks. My geese and turkeys free range kind of in a very large fenced in area, probably a half acre. The toms and ganders will chase each other some times and then forget all about it. This year we are going to set up separate pens. Jenn

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It depends on numbers. If you have only a few waterfowl, it may not be practical to have separate housing. It also depends how clean and how much room they have. Waterfowl require lots of water, and for this reason I keep them separate with a tank w/float valve. Otherwise, I'd spend my entire day bringing water to the ducks and geese.

Oh, and I'm only replying because my wife is from Teesside. Durham is one of my favorite City's anywhere in the world. I love it up north. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by