Keeping girls and boys together?

I'm thinking more likely female but can't be sure from those pics since Aylesbury coloring is the same for the ducks and the drakes. If it doesn't have a sex feather by now, it's most likely female. You may not know for sure until it becomes more vocal.

That's the first time I've ever heard of any duck not liking peas, but it makes sense since what's "typical" in any species/breed isn't always a guarantee. Many ducks like crushed boiled eggs, including their own eggs, but we don't have a single duck that will have anything to do with them.

Yeah I'm swaying more towards them both being female ...the poorly one has been quacking today with the others but not as loud and honking!

After a few hours walkng she is back to sitting and crawling, so I put her in a tub with warm water and she loved it...of course her buddy and Bobby had to have a turn too they let me know that they were NOT impressed at being left out lol....Bobby is a bad influence already with her Diva ways! lol

So...if Mickey IS a girl the dilemma of another name stands....cant have another one with a male(ish) name lol....I didnt name Bobby but I did add the -Girl to her name because everyone thought she was a boy! :eek: lol

I like names to match too hence my babies being Betty & Babs ....

So.....

Minnie & Mavis
Minnie & Mabel
Minnie & Myrtle
Minnie & Mimi

Decisions decisions .......

With regards treats.....what else can I try for them?

I give them cat food as a treat now and then which they love (but not the babies yet) and one of my cats Ozzie has taken a liking to sharing the layers pellets....hope I don't find an egg in his basket or I WILL be worried lol

I want to grow things in the garden for them to eat and have ordered seeds of Dandelion and Clover as I read that ducks like them, and also Pansies. I grew some mustard too similar to cress but Bobby wasn't too impressed.

Oh.....and the peas I scattered have gone! ....so 'someduck' has had them!

You can try putting Epsom Salt in the warm bath, but you must be very careful not to let her drink it since it can cause dehydration. Most people do it in a bucket or little tub since it's easier to keep the duck from drinking it. If you do it in the bath, just make sure you don't take your eyes off her.

As far as other treats, most ducks like leafy greens like chard, bok choy, kale, (no spinach), and green beans cut in very small pieces. Corn is usually popular, rolled oats, and some of mine like sliced white grapes, but not all do. Mealworms and earthworms are typically a big hit, but of course you can't grow those in your garden. You can get them here at bait stores and mealworms at some pet stores. We also buy 2 dozen feeder minnows on the weekend and put them in the pond and pool. You'll have as much fun with that as the ducks will. None of this should be cooked.

As far as names go, I like the Mimi one best, for whatever that's worth, if you're going to change it. I don't see anything wrong with Mickey. I've known a good number of girls who used that, always as a nickname for Michelle, but usually spelled Mickie or Micki.

Hope this helps!

Poorly quacker is doing well ...so far today she/he hasn't 'collapsed' to a crawl, is up and walking and had a dip in the big water bowl but couldn't get out so needed a bit if assistance but other than that seems a little more steady on her/his feet.

The him/her he/she malarky is very frustrating I wish I could find out what he/she is lol I'm confusing myself who is minnie and who is Mickey! lol ....I'm going to find some generic names so it doesn't matter what they are even though I do tend to like human names for my pets lol

Hi Amiga

Every day she/he gets stronger and stronger, walking and paddling, eating well following her buddy and Bobby-Girl around ....things are looking really good I am so pleased :celebrate

On another note........my babies got their baby quacks today :D .....I got home from work 7.30am and straight out to let my beauties out....out came the 3 big ones quack quack honk! .....which is usually followed by peep peep from the babies .......but this morning the orchestra sounded much different with the poorly one getting the voice back and the babies getting their quack .....such a proud momma I am today :D

Now the poorly one has a stronger voice I'm almost sure, although still not 100% that shes a girl ......they both have the same voice and a definite quack, and neither of them have a curl feather on the tail. The guy at the local farm where I get my animal food from said I could take them to the farm and he would be able to tell me if they are male or female, but because the one has been so poorly and still not 100% I didn't want to put them through any more stress .....maybe in a week I might or might not even bother and just go with my instincts and say all my flock are females lol

Hi Amiga

Every day she/he gets stronger and stronger, walking and paddling, eating well following her buddy and Bobby-Girl around ....things are looking really good I am so pleased
celebrate.gif

On another note........my babies got their baby quacks today
big_smile.png
.....I got home from work 7.30am and straight out to let my beauties out....out came the 3 big ones quack quack honk! .....which is usually followed by peep peep from the babies .......but this morning the orchestra sounded much different with the poorly one getting the voice back and the babies getting their quack .....such a proud momma I am today
big_smile.png

Now the poorly one has a stronger voice I'm almost sure, although still not 100% that shes a girl ......they both have the same voice and a definite quack, and neither of them have a curl feather on the tail. The guy at the local farm where I get my animal food from said I could take them to the farm and he would be able to tell me if they are male or female, but because the one has been so poorly and still not 100% I didn't want to put them through any more stress .....maybe in a week I might or might not even bother and just go with my instincts and say all my flock are females lol

That's great to hear! I wouldn't take them to his farm. I'm not sure if they have NPIP certs or something comparable in the UK, but I'd be hesitant to have them around any other fowl right now. If their immune systems are still weak from poor care all their lives until a week ago, you could be asking for problems you don't already have. Just a thought.

That's great to hear! I wouldn't take them to his farm. I'm not sure if they have NPIP certs or something comparable in the UK, but I'd be hesitant to have them around any other fowl right now. If their immune systems are still weak from poor care all their lives until a week ago, you could be asking for problems you don't already have. Just a thought.

Good advice Amiga thank you I wouldn't have even thought about that! ........I am not going to bother they have been through enough already! ....just good food, cosy lodgings and lots of TLC is what they are getting from now on! ....love my ducky lovelies :D

Last edited:
Good advice Amiga thank you I wouldn't have even thought about that! ........I am not going to bother they have been through enough already! ....just good food, cosy lodgings and lots of TLC is what they are getting from now on! ....love my ducky lovelies
big_smile.png

Great to hear they're improving and adjusting. I so much admire you for taking them since you really didn't want a drake and thought one of them was. Considering the way your neighbor was "caring" for them, God only knows whom they would have ended up with if you hadn't stepped in. Probably nobody. They likely would have been dumped at a local pond, which would have been a death sentence. You've probably saved two beautiful little lives, and you've unquestionably made their lives far better than they've ever been before.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom