1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping goats with chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LoganTW, Dec 6, 2013.

1. LoganTW

LoganTW Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - I was wondering if you could keep goats with chickens? because next year I plan on putting my chickens in a run because when they had no fence I lost too many to a hawk and racoons, but I like goats and it would be big enough to keep them I just need to know if it is possible and some tips, tricks, hints, or just straight up how you or a friend does it.

Thanks a ton!!!!!

Logan

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    You sure can!! I have 2 old goats! Sammy, who is 11yrs and Peanut who is 13yrs. They live with my 2 roosters.
    You need to figure out how your gonna feed them. Goats are forever 2 year olds running around getting into trouble! Its one of the things I both love and hate about them! [​IMG]

3. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Whoops! Didnt mean to submit yet!
    I would suggest a separate area in the barn, example, the chickens go on top of the goats. Because you are gonna need a separate area to feed the chickens. If you don't the goats will eat it all and eat it fast!!

4. LoganTW

LoganTW Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for answering so quickly!!! It's a hog barn so it has a lot of gates in it, so i can dedicate one of the areas for the chickens feed, grit, oyster shells.... well you get the point their food, now a couple questions, do dwarf goats take less room? how many square feet should goats have? and what do you feed your goats? because they make goat pellets but there's just hay too, should you feed both? sorry I know practically nothing about goats, my parents used to have goats when I was really young but they kept 3 in something like a 10 by 15 foot pen or something like that, fed them grass that they mowed (I do know that is a big nono) so really I don't know how to care for them I just know that they were really sweet.

Logan

5. Roseandspice

Roseandspice Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Glenn rose arkansas
    I have six chickens that are with my boer goat and she is pretty big lol I think u are good to go:)

6. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    My goats get hay in the morning and at night 1 scoop of a goat pellet/ sweet feed mix. Plus treats. The outside pen is about the size of 1/2 a football field. If you have any trees in the pen that you dont want them to kill, then you will need to wrap the tree with fencing. Just like deer they will strip the bark right off the tree. Also, if it is an option, have their horns removed when they are babies. I have had both de-horned and with horns. With the horns they are much more destructive to buildings, bushes, trees, even you! Our goat Sammy loves to rub up against us, and without meaning to, he will hook us with his horns! Ouch!!!

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    you can keep them together. I have 3 boer goats an a nigerian dwarf with some chickens and the goats don't show any interest in the chickens. everyone minds there own business and gets along fine. My goats get a mix of oats and molasses. they constantly have access to hay and grass. They have a ton of area to roam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by