keeping goats with poultry?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by xxnativewolfxx, Dec 2, 2013.

1. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    i am getting a few goats for milk and I have chickens turkeys guineas and ducks and geese and I know you can keep chickens with goats but can you keep them with all of the others? I have made there pens larger to make room for the goats but im still not shure how it might go eny suggestions?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
  3. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    My neighbor keeps goats and chickens together and he just throws the food underneath the coop far enough from the edges so that they can't get on there knees and get it. It works out pretty well.

4. xxnativewolfxx

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    thank you both my coop is a 100 year old chicken barn and I was going to have the goats just go up into it when they want to get out of the rain and such but I have stalls for them in my barn the plan was with feeding them is to feed them in there stalls and feed the birds in there pen then when everyone's done im just going to let the goats out with them all I feed my birds is cracked corn and layer pellets are the layer pellets bad for the goats? I know I seem like a green horn at this and I truly am I've done my research but its still all so new to me!! on our homestead were trying to be more self sufficient and yea lol my biggest fears are that they will get into the nesting boxes and eat the hay! but I guess its a learning experience so I will have to just live and learn that's what happened with all the poultry!!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You definitely don't want the goats gorging on layer feed, and they will if they can get at it, it can make them very sick.

6. xxnativewolfxx

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    thank you! yea its great to know that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by