Keeping grass in the run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kathyb2, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    I am in South Georgia. Over the past 10 years I have gone from totally free ranging, to free ranging a few hours a day, currently not free ranging at all. I have 18 chickens (5 bantams and 13 lg fowl) in a 30 x 30 run. They have been in there for a couple of months. I am happily surprised that they are not keeping up with the grass. Anyone have any tips on what I could do this winter so the grass stays. Could it grow back in the spring if they are on it all winter? I really don't want them on bare dirt if I can help it.

They are not free ranging because of fox/foxes. Literally had a chicken taken with me standing 10 feet from it. Seems like this is a spring/summer problem. Do foxes move around more in the winter time? I would like to go back to free ranging in the winter if possible.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Grass disappears from chickens scratching up the roots, not by them eating it. I guarantee, after a full year, all your grass will have turned into bare dirt. It's a given.

There is a way to have grass and chickens at the same time. But you can't have sod. You need to plant deep rooted bunch grasses. Of course, unless you move your run while the new grass gets established, it won't stand a chance of taking hold with chickens scratching it up.

Foxes are year-round predators, probably even more grateful for a quick chicken dinner in winter.

3. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Can you tell me what would be considered a deep rooted bunch grass? Do foxes generally migrate or stay in one area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by