keeping hardy birds...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Birdman18, May 14, 2009.

1. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Would a canary, finch, or parakeet be kept in an outdoor aviary all year long? I'm thinking of raising some in my dove aviary.

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    what state are you in? Depends on what your weather is like year round or if you're willing to heat.

3. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    In Phoenix lots of people have parakeets in outdoor aviaries year round. They occasionally get loose and just live in the neighborhood, last year a flock of doves landed in my yard which included one small bright yellow "dove". [​IMG]
    But yes, where are you and how hot/cold does it get?

4. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I'm in NY the coldest it gets here is about 10 degrees F. I could maybe supply a heat lamp.
    If i can't keep them outdoors here what about in NC it is a little warmer there?

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Oh i bet it gets way colder than that at night in NY im below you and the coldest it got this winter was -10

below freezing will kill most tropical birds.

yes in NC you more than likely could BUT may still need to bring them in on below freezing nights.

6. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:I live in the South, but I have raised Parakeets outside all year long and their most prolific egg laying times were when there was snow on the ground. They do very well outside and breed like mice.

Canaries and finches are another story. I don't think they can handle the same temps as parakeets.

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Oh i bet it gets way colder than that at night in NY im below you and the coldest it got this winter was -10

below freezing will kill most tropical birds.

yes in NC you more than likely could BUT may still need to bring them in on below freezing nights.

Could be NYC though.

8. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:I live in the South, but I have raised Parakeets outside all year long and their most prolific egg laying times were when there was snow on the ground. They do very well outside and breed like mice.

Canaries and finches are another story. I don't think they can handle the same temps as parakeets.

Oh ok so if you had parakeets outdoors while it was snowing then that should mean they could handle temps at least in the 30's , as long as parakeets are pretty hardy i'll consider breeding and raising them. I already have 3 parakeets and i'm trying to get a pair to breed so i hope for the best. Is there any advice you could offer for first time parakeets that are breeding?

Thanks bigjohn!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by