Keeping hawks out of your run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lereg15, Mar 14, 2015.

1. lereg15

lereg15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    I plan on making a run for the chickens I plan on getting next week, with a 6' chain link fence. I will be putting 28" high, mesh on the bottom of it to try and detour predators from getting in. Also I plan on making a wooden 'fence' on the outside of it as well. The run will be approximately 30x 15, so I'll have plenty of room for my, so far 12 chickens that I plan on getting Fri.

My question is could I use regular bird netting for the 'roof' of the run? This is what I was thinking of :http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bird-Nett...r-Bird-Poultry-Avaiary-Game-Pens-New/29608046 . I'm not really sure if that will be good enough for hawks or not, but need something to keep them out!! Thank you in advance!!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  3. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
  4. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I use a lightweight bird netting to keep away hawks. (I had a bad hawk problem) After i put it up one hawk dove and then took a quick turn up. haven't had a problem since. As long as they can see the barrier between them and the chicken they won't fly into it.

1 person likes this.
  5. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    I'll check that out! Thanks

6. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    I have a change of plans now, unfortunately. We live in a complicated situation where it's actually my father in law's house, but, supposibly, we can do anything we want here. Apparently now, I cannot put my coop on the back porch, like I had first planned on, so now I have to move it to the side of the house. Therefore the run I was planning on making will have to be smaller. I thank you for your input, and will use the information when I'm able to enlarge my space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by