Keeping hens and roo Frizzles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, May 26, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a question... I have 4 frizzles, or actually 3 it looks like. They are just babies, and I'm unsure of the sex. I was planning on keeping only one sex of them to prevent breeding amongst themselves. However, I'm wondering if they usually use the same nest boxes?? I was going to keep roo frizzles. However, if I kept a hen too (or two), but didn't let her eggs develop. Would that be okay? Can you tell which eggs came from which hen? We can't house them separately, so I'm just wondering if there's anyway around not having to get rid of the four I have (once I determine the sexes). Any, all info would be appreciated - Thanks!

Darcy

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    as long as you can do what is neccessary when you have to (cull a bird when it's condition is bad) I can't see why you can't hatch all their eggs.....

3. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    ugh.. I'd feel too guilty that it was my fault his condition was bad! I don't think I could do it [​IMG] And it would be hard to explain to our boys... HMMM.... Thank you for your thoughts though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by