Keeping hens inside the fence

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jkslb08, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jkslb08

Jkslb08 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2012
    Half of our yard is chain-link fence which the hens can see. Two of them are really bad about getting out of the yard and going over to the neighbor's by flying up to the top of the fence. How can we stop this? Do we need to cover our fence up with something like a silt fence? Any suggestions on how to keep them in our yard would be appreciated!

2. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    How tall is the fence? We have 8' high chain link, which keeps the chickens and ducks in, but not turkeys and guineas. Could you put up an "extension" out of poultry wire or hardware cloth?

3. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    Does the fence have a top bar? Something easy for them to land on? I have founds that they (my hens) don't try to fly over anything that they don't think they can land on. It's interesting, mine won't fly over a little fence that is 2' tall

4. rhpues

rhpues Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Timmonsville sc
    that sounds interesting................might have to try that

5. Jkslb08

Jan 7, 2012
    Our fence is 4 feet high. I think we may be able to put some kind of extension on top to make them not want to get up there. It started out that they liked to perch on top of the fence but they see our neighbor's leaves and can't resist.

6. Jkslb08

Jan 7, 2012
    They do sometimes perch on the fence. I think you're right. That's the whole problem. We may just put up a little extender of fencing so they won't be tempted. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by