Keeping Horses in Colorado

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolf-Kim, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    If given a large enough pasture, can horses live off pasture in Colorado?

We have a couple of horses here in NC, and they feed solely off grass in the summer and hay in the winter. Would they be able to do the same in Colorado?

We are playing with the idea of a move, and I have questions for those who keep their critters in CO.

Thanks
    -Kim

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    You would have to be more specific as to "where" in Colorado! We have deserts, plains, prairies, mountains, and more. So the answer right now would be no, maybe, and yes. [​IMG]

3. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Well, that and you have to be a lot more specific about 'pasture', too. What you planted, how much acreage, how it's cared for, is it fertilized, etc. Not enough information just yet.

Sarah

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG] I guess we'll just have to wait and see then. I have no idea where in CO we would be or what species of grass will be in the pasture. LOL

Thanks guys. [​IMG]

-Kim

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    We're in northern NM, but the vegetation is quite different to some regions of CO. We pasture year round but feed grain in the winter too.

6. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    We live about 40 miles east of Denver. We have 6 acres of pasture. We have mowed and reseeded for 5 years. Two Percherons 2 quarter horses. If you have a good winter and spring there is grazing for all 4 horses from around April till mid July. Meaning we let them out around 8am and bring them in and lock em down around 6pm. We give a wafer to the qtrs and 2 wafers to the drafts to keep them till morning. Come mid July they have to stay penned mopst of the day. We will let them out about 4 hrs a day. Around mid September it cools down enough that the grass isn't as stressed and we let them graze more. By October the pasture is ready for winter. At that point it's straight hay. The further south and east of Denver you go the bleaker the pasture is. Further north it is somewhat better. The mountains are pretty good because the temp goes down about 4 degrees for every 1000 ft elevation increase. However the seasons are shorter too. Meaning snow by September and thaw around May to June. Hay runs 7-9 dollars for small bales. The less expensive hay is north Of Denver because they have more irrigation. The areas that dry farm are more expensive. Hope that helps a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by