Keeping Humidity in open topped incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover237, Mar 8, 2012.

1. chickenlover237

chickenlover237 Chillin' With My Peeps

How do I keep any humidity in my incubator that has no top? Do I need it humid or is it fine? If I do need it humid then how do I make it humid because I can't put a lid on it (mom) and I dont have a humidity thermometer.

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    You can always try dry hatching them but I wouldn't recommend it. I would cover it somehow, plus it seems like it would be really hard to keep the temp. within the correct range without the incubator being closed. Are you all using a homemade bator, why can't you cover it?

Also, you can get a hygrometer at Petsmart for only $7, if the humidity is high enough in your house you might not have to worry about it.

3. chickenlover237

well for an incubator I am using a sryrofoam box inside a plastic storage bin. (I had poked holes in the styrofoam box and it was too cold that way) it stays just fine even though I have no clue what the temp is [​IMG]. the eggs clearly like the temp it is because today is day 8 and I have 7 out of 12 eggs that are for sure developing 3 that im not sure and two that I think are dead. I am using a shop light for heat. and I cant cover it because my mom will have a fit and make me get rid of the eggs. because when I first got the eggs (first hatch, first chickens) my mom said no eggs inside, no lid on the incubator. after the first night outside in the shed (temp got really low) she lifted the "no eggs inside" thing. but even if I could cover it I cant because the shop light does not fit in the box.

4. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    hmmm, well if they seem to be developing you must be doing something right. [​IMG] I would just put a bowl of water with a sponge or wash cloth in it (to increase the surface area and aid in raising the ambient humidity) and sit in next to the eggs, it couldn't hurt. The eggs need pretty high humidity to hatch without the membrane drying out too much. Good luck with your hatch!

5. chickenlover237

thanks! I candled them last night and I ended up with one that had died that morning (it had gotten so far!) and I got rid of 3 others (blood ring) there is still one that I think has died but I am going to give that one annother day just to be sure. other than that I have 6 that are developing good! I can even see them moving inside the egg! I will put some water in there RIGHT NOW! [​IMG]

6. chickenlover237

Hmmm... do you think it would help if I put a humidifyer in my room?

7. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    sorry it took me so long to respond, been busy planting spring veggies!

Humidity doesn't need to be very high until lockdown in the last couple days of incubation. if they're developing good liek they are now I would let them be and then try to up the humidity during lockdown, if you have a humidifier that would be great. My room stays about 30-40% humidity most of the time so I don't even have to add water to my incubator until lockdown, I bet yours is about the same. You do want it to be pretty humid (65-70%) during the hatch so the shell membranes dont dry out too much while they're making their way out into the world. That's when I'd turn on the humidifier.

8. chickenlover237

well I have just put 30 more eggs in the incubator last night and we are almost finished with the coop we will be finished with it tomorrow!

9. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] here's hoping for tons of little chicks! Mine are due in 11 days and I can't wait! [​IMG]

10. chickenlover237

cool! my first batch is due in 6 days and the second batch is due in 20 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by