keeping ID on my cat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tpantali, Jul 7, 2008.

1. tpantali

tpantali Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2007
    Finger Lakes New York
    Our newest cat can not seen to keep his collar on. I am guessing he loses them when he gets caught on something as it does not seem to bother him in the house and he can go weeks without lossing one.

We really want to keep ID on him because we do not trust our new neighbors who we believe maybe taking our older cat into their home. [​IMG] Very long story...he sometimes even stays out all night [​IMG] and he has never done that before. Then when he comes in he is not hungry, which is also not like him.

Anyway, the older one keeps the collar on just fine. So, we want to make sure the younger one has some form of ID.

We are also planning on talking to the neighbors about it if they ever answer their door. The Sheriff came around a while back and they never answered the door for him even though he said they were in there.

Any suggestions are appreciated. We will try anything.

2. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Collars on cats are dangerous, just microchip him and write her a note saying he is... You can always id him to get him back. Goodluck

3. theJH

theJH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Do not put a collar on a cat. just get them microchipped

4. tpantali

May 16, 2007
    Finger Lakes New York
    We thought of a microchip but how does that help if the cat is down the street and someone picks it up, they will not be able to get the information, or if good forbid one of my cats got hurt; how would someone know to call us.

Maybe at a vet or the pound they could check for a microchip but what about the average person. Our other neighbor, who is awesome, has seen people delivering our cats in cars. At least some people are nice even though those other neighbors are weird.

We do use break away collars so I was thinking that was not dangerous. I had a cat when I was kid who got it's collar stuck on the box spring and died. It was terrible.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  5. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I think microchip is really the only way to ID him and prove he's yours if he is stolen and you do find him in someone else's house. If he winds up in a shelter they can scan him for a chip and AVID keeps a database on who bought the chip kit so they can notify you of which shelter the cat is in, or at which vet's office. I have all my livestock and animals chipped, mainly for show. But it's also peace of mind that there is a permanent ID that can't be taken off if someone steals an animal of mine too.
    Or maybe an ear tattoo? That's the method I use on my bunnies. But here's the Avid site if you wanted to look over their package for pet i.d.
    http://www.microchipidsystems.com/products.htm

6. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Have him chipped, let the neighbors know he is chipped. Hopefully that would deter them from keeping him in. It is the only legal way (in Texas at least) to get your pet back as anyone could put a collar or tag on him but only you can change to MC info.
    I use a break-away collar on my inside cat and have found it pulled off of her several times (probably by the dog) but at least he would have "outer" ID that wouldn't potentially strangle him. They usually break off quite easily.

7. goldensunriseranch

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Avid also has a sign you can orer & put on your gate or somewhere it can be seen, that your animals are microchipped. If they know it's your cat and see the sign it would clue them in also that you can prove it's yours if they steal it and get caught. I know that in Jersey pet theft is a serious indictable offense. Not sure about other states.

8. tpantali

May 16, 2007
    Finger Lakes New York
    That website is very helpful, thank you goldensunriseranch.

I think I should contact our vet to see if they do it. Seems like we should have both cats and our dog done.

I will have to present some information at dinner for family discussion and decision making....

Thank you!

9. goldensunriseranch

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    You're welcome! Just a guess but the vet would probably insert it into the shoulder region. We do our goats ourselves in the base of the ear or the tail web, but used to do it in the shoulder muscle too. Glad the link helped! [​IMG]

10. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

just something to remember about micro-chips... they can migrate ie. move around your pets body and can often be expelled/rejected through the skin as foreign matter would without you knowing it.

IF YOU USE Microchip ID's make sure to get your house pets scanned every year by the vet at their checkup to make sure they are STILL chipped. They are only $10 here so replacing one is no big deal.

All of my pets are/were chipped, two no longer have their chips are they are being replaced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by