Keeping infertile eggs in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fly12, Mar 4, 2017.

1. fly12

fly12 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    Hi, I put 24 duck eggs into the incubator last week and today I candled them and only 3 are actually fertile and developing. Should I take out the rest of the eggs or would it be better to leave in until lockdown?

2. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    I'm in a similar situation. I have 3 chicken eggs in a Brinsea Mini Advance. Day 11. Two of the eggs are definitely fertile and appear to be growing normally. The other egg started developing, but seems like it may be a quitter. I posted a candling pic and the advice I got was to candle again at Day 14. If it hasn't developed then toss it.

I would say (depending on what day you're on) don't toss them until you are absolutely certain they are not viable. However, if you're sure, then toss them. If any of them explode in the incubator then it will potentially kill the living chicks.

Good luck!

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I have 6 in there now that are clears, day 8 for that group. Usually I toss them, but their mass is balancing my heat right now so I'm in no hurry to toss them. Seldom does an egg burst, especially a clear. Usually you'll smell them first. But it's totally up to you when to pull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by